Common Symptoms of Sciatica
Sciatica occurs when there is stress or irritation of the sciatic nerve. The most common causes of sciatica are a herniated disk or a misalignment of a spinal vertebra pinching the nerve. This condition can also be caused by a tumor compressing the nerve or a disease damaging it. Dr. Phillips Chiropractic Nutrition and Wellness in San Antonio is proud to provide state-of-the-art chiropractic care to address sciatica.
Sciatic Nerve Pain Symptoms
- Pain radiates along a pathway that starts at the lumbar region (lower back) and proceeds to the hip and down the back of the leg.
- Pain is typically on one side of the body and can occur anywhere along the pathway of the nerve at one or multiple points.
- The severity of pain can range from mild to extreme and can be accompanied by sharp, burning sensations.
- Tingling and numbness are often a part of the experience. It is possible to feel both at once, either both in different places along the pathway or simultaneously in the same area(s). It may seem like you can’t feel your leg, hip, or back, but you can still feel the pain
Causes and Catalysts
- Herniated disks and bone misalignments are the most common sources of sciatic nerve pain due to changes related to age.
- Obesity adds stress to all parts of the body. It can contribute to shifts or other changes in and along the spine.
- Heavy lifting or twisting strains your back and can aggravate and inflame the nerve.
- Habits like sitting for long periods will also affect the nerve.
- A side-effect of diabetes.
In cases of severe sciatica, you may need to seek the advice of a chiropractor. Contact our chiropractor if you are experiencing:
- Severe pain, numbness, or weakness.
- Sciatic nerve pain following an accident or injury.
- Difficulty controlling your bladder and/or bowels.
Visit Our Chiropractor Today
For more information about sciatic nerve pain or to schedule an appointment, call Dr. Phillips Chiropractic Nutrition and Wellness at (210) 545-1144.